- Features assembled and powder coated main
wing spar carry through bulkhead with matched and pilot drilled
wing spars. Construction lines for proper alignment are on all
pre-riveted spar assemblies.
- All parts requiring brake work beyond the capacity of simple hand
tools are formed. 95% of the parts are completed at the factory (all spars, skins, bulkheads,
fittings, etc.). Many parts have the rivet holes pilot drilled.
- Tools required to build the Midget Mustang from our kit are
limited to economical hand tools. Any part requiring more expensive
or complicated equipment is completed at the factory. A rivet
gun with accessories, clecoes, microstop countersink, hand seamer,
files, hand shears or aviation snips, and a drill motor are the
basic tools that are required.
- Most of the steel parts are ready to simply paint and install.
The control stick, rudder pedal, and flap handle assemblies just
need to be put in place, with the gear welding option the gear
assembly is reamed, powder coated, and ready to bolt on, etc.
- The wing leading edge skins are formed for ease of construction and excellent flight characteristics.
Slower stall speeds and nice stall breaks without a wing drop
are results of proper leading edge shape. The bottom tailcone
skin is also rolled to the proper shape, and all of the tail
group skins are formed including all control surfaces for the
- The ribs and bulkheads are formed and have the lightening
holes cut out. (wing ribs, tail ribs, flap ribs, firewall, etc.)
- The quick build kit reduces construction time to less than
800 hours. The prefabricated wings ensure the best flying characteristics
and professional finish. The only thing left to do on the wings is install
the wing tips, aileron bellcrank inspection plates, and paint. The wet wing version gives a total fuel capacity of 35 gallons. The finished
wet wings include installed capacitance probes and fuel gauge.
- As an alternative the airframe kit is also broken down into
several subkits. This eliminates a large initial investment on materials
that will just have to be stored until needed. For most customers within
the US, subkits rather than the whole kit all at once is the typical
- Final costs for a flying Midget Mustang average about $39,000
from a standard kit and used mid time Continental or Lycoming engine.